Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Crossfit 4 Life!

Ok so most of you know that I have started doing this here. I have been at it for about 6 weeks now. I took measurements of myself when I started but I haven't checked to see a difference yet. In the beginning I didn't see a whole lot of difference. My pants and some of my shirts fit a little better but I was starting to realize that my diet and Crossfit go hand in hand in order to see DRASTIC results.
So, what is Crossfit anyway? Well, my mom and Jessica and Brittany and even Ellie, yes Ellie has come along and watched me sweat my brains out and push my muscles and body to a point that I never thought possible. Ben started doing it while he was in Iraq last fall and has continued to do it while in AFG now.

An hour of Crossfit:
Well, it starts out by walking into the gym (a warehouse in and industrial part of Valdosta) and you usually walk immediately over to the board and see what the WOD is (work out of the day). Most of the time I have to read it a few times because I don't quite understand it. There's always a little bit of nervousness as I walk up to the board because you never know what you are getting yourself into just by committing to an hour there. Some days are more chill than others but your muscles will always feel challenged whether it the "filthy fifty" or lots of burpees or thrusters or lunges or weight lifting or rowing even. Class starts with a 800-1000m run followed by group stretching and push ups, pull ups, kettlebell swings, hip/back extensions, sit ups etc...The warm up exercises are usually related to the workout in some way to warm the particular muscles up that will be used the most. The final workout that is the hardest part of the hour usually is only about 20-35 mins long. Then the hour is over and your're done! No more hours at the gym running on the treadmill or eliptical or working on the same old weight machines...blah. I find the gym and the routine that comes a long with it so boring and uninspiring. Crossfit inspires me to push myself and be better and stronger and healthier than I've ever been in my life pretty much. The cool thing too is that the workout is the same for the guys and girls. Girls do real pushups and sit ups and well, the pull ups are usually modified. The best part about Crossfit is the group/team mentality. Everyone warms up together, stretches together and starts and ends the workout together. If there is someone that is still finishing their sets the instructor or other people in the class encourage and sometimes do the workout with them until they finish. It almost feels like high school gym class in a way (minus the drama). Trebor Marple is the owner here and has quite the inspiring story of tragedy and getting back up again and healing. He is yelling throughout the whole class and pushes you when you think you have nothing left to squeeze just a few more reps out. I respond well to this apparently and through doing this I have found a streak of competition in myself that I did not know was there:) Healthy competition. I have never been this sore in my life but it feels so good.
Crossfit Valdosta has started a Paleo Challenge about two weeks ago that I am participating in. Paleo is pretty much eating like a caveman. I have lost 7 pounds and am 4 pounds away from my pre-preg weight with Izz and 14 with Ellie. My goal is to get back to where I was before Ellie. I am confidant that I can attain this goal through Crossfit regularly and Paleo eating. The challenge ends the day before Thanksgiving so I have 4 weeks left to drop more lbs and inches and then Ben will be home and I plan on continuing to eat this way and start feeding the whole family this way. Also, winner gets $500!! Ben said if I win he'd match it and I could do whatever I want with it...I'm thinking a day in ATLANTA, shopping...BY MYSELF!!! 4 more weeks I can do this!!!

Click on the links below and check it out. Click on Trebor Marple's name to read his inspiring story. The testimonials are neat to read too:)
http://www.crossfitvaldosta.com/




This is something that I would have never thought in a million years that I could do or even considering doing

















































































not the best picture of me:/































I'm the one in the pink shirt...catching my breath, this particular work out was burpee pull ups...hard

1 comment:

Erin Quinn said...

Go Cami!